Saturday, September 27, 2008

My Precious

As we speak, Penny, my awesome puppy (the one in the profile picture), is getting spayed. That's right, we're taking away her right to have children. We are also taking away the lovely privilege of going through heat. Needless to say, I think she'll live.

Penny has been living with my parents for the past two or three weeks. Yes, this really does irk me. I bought Penny in April and picked her up in June, and between then and now have probably spent somewhere around $1000 on her. For a poor and starving college student, that's quite a bit of money.

When I got Penny, my WHOLE family told me how she would end up being my mother's dog, and I'd leave her at home etc. etc. That really bothered me because I've never put so much love, time, and money into something like I have with Penny- she truly is MY dream dog.

This summer, you know, the one spent dying at home, my mother fell head-over-heels in love with my puppy. She calls Penny, "The baby". No joke.

Well when I got up to school the first week my mother said I'd be too busy partying so Penny must stay home with her Grandma (read:my mother) so I can party it up. I thought this was ridiculous but oh well, I guess she can have her for one week at a time. Then Penny came up to school for a week or two- YAY! This is where it gets messy- She was supposed to be spayed the following week that I had her, so she was to go home, get spayed, and recover with my mom, then she'd be back up to State. Well when I brought her home that week, we ended up changing the spay date because my aunt so generously was going to pay for her to be spayed at a nicer vet's office (which was pretty pricey, so I wasn't about to pass that up). I was going to bring her back to school with me for the three weeks before her spay, but low and behold, grandma won again, and said that she wanted her with her and I'd be too busy with football season and going to the games to take care of her. HELLO?! I bought her knowing it was football season, she would be fine, a game is only 3 hours and besides- I think she'd LOVE tailgating with me and all my friends.

So here we are. Finally spay date. She's under the knife as I type! After she recovers- probably a week or two at the most, she will be back up to State...FOR GOOD!

My mother, bless her heart, will be completely, and utterly, heartbroken.

She'll get over it.

No comments: