Friday, December 26, 2008

I Hope I Won't Regret This: Part 2

So.  I'm running up to my room to finish getting ready for our family Hanukkah party.  I walk into my room and see a missed call. 

It's a number I don't recognize.  Normally, I wouldn't call them back unless they left me a voicemail, but for some reason I didn't think and I jumped right on calling them back and finding out who it was.

Ring ring.  Ring ring.

Person on the other end: "Oh..Shit."
EB: "Hi I got a call from this number."
Person on other end: "Hi...It's LD." (The Let Down)
EB:" Oh..."
LD: "Yeah..."
EB:" Sorry, I wasn't expecting you to call..how are you?"
LD:"I'm good how are you?"
EB: "I'm fine. So this  book.  When can I get it?"

So the conversation goes we figure out a day that works- tomorrow.  He says that he thought he was going to miss me and that I'd have already gone back to EL, that he just now got a chance to check my email that I wrote a couple days ago.  He says he'll call me tomorrow, but if I need to call him the number he called from is his cell.  The end.

So I think...

I hang up only to notice I just received a voicemail.  He must have been leaving it while I was calling him.

The voicemail is the main attraction, let me tell you- it goes like this:
Hey EB, it's LD.  I hope you're not back in EL but I just now got to check your email on my roommate's computer.  You know... I really wish you weren't mad at me..I can't even recall why you were mad at me in the first place.  We just need to talk and shit because I hate having someone like you on my angry list- so stop being angry- alright call me back.  Later.


Wow.  WOW!

So lets recap:  We were best friends, almost too close.  He lived with his parents still (a grown man, mind you).  He had a girlfriend who was complete trash, who just got out of jail, and also lived with her parents (grown woman).  I go away to school so sad to leave my best behind.  We write to each other and hang out a couple times when I come home.  Then he stops talking to me.  Ditch's me when we plan to hang out.  When I confront him about it he tells me that we basically can't be friends, that I need a fresh slate at school, and, "But I mean, if you're going to call me all crying and shit like you're going to kill yourself, of course i'll  be there for you."  Thus our friendship ended when I texted him have a good life- and he responded- "If it makes you feel any better, no one came to the ceremony, it was at the courthouse," which meant he married the girlfriend.

It's  been a year and 4 months since I've seen him last.  A year and 3 since we've last talked and ended our friendship.


I don't know what to think about tomorrow, yet I can't get it off my mind...

No comments: