Monday, December 22, 2008

Writing Reality, Not a Script

Once I was sitting in the library cafe, and these guys were sitting behind me.  I kept catching bits and pieces from their conversations and let me tell you- they were quite ridiculous.

One of the guys was in a relationship.  His issue was should he call the girl because he knew if he didn't he'd get in trouble with her, however, he really didn't feel like talking to her.

The friend was being a total 'bro', if you will.  "Dude, don't call her.  Or call her really late at night after she went to sleep so she won't want to talk to you."

After he finally called her, they continued on with conversation.

The guy with the girlfriend started to tell his friend an elaborate story, in which he obviously put a lot of effort into constructing to make it seem witty and great.

After this guy tells his extremely long story, his friend turns to him and says, "So, I have this problem where I don't listen when people talk, seriously, its been going on forever, ever since I was a little kid.  My teachers and parents would always get so mad, but they knew I couldn't help it.  So, What did you say?"

It's things like this that I need to look for in conversation in order to make my writing more real.  Sometimes I feel like everything I write is so over-scripted.  Of course I'm not just talking about blogging, but the screenplays I am working on as well.

It's hard to always keep these little conversations I overhear in mind while writing, and I find myself going back, over, and over, and over again changing things to make it seem more real.



2 comments:

None said...

Hello, I'm FaheemJ. ...
Yeah, I'm new to this site,
but getting the hang
of it slowly, although I don't
know how to message people (if you
can OR add a friend or fellow blogger) ...

Anyhoo...

Thanks for reading my blog post.
Yeah, it's a true story,
can't seem to shake her, but hey, one day! ...

I enjoyed reading this post.
I home in on others convos
as well, especially at my college's
cafe, lol... Some of the most
ridiculous & cipher-like convos
ever, but hey we need those
to write about huh?! ;> ...

- FaheemJ.

Jess said...

Listening to a group of guys usually promises to be quite interesting. I had to laugh at the guy that said he had a problem where he didn't listen, because I know someone exactly like that. Just thinks he's really great, I guess.
I love people watching, too. One of my favourite activities, to be honest.