Friday, December 26, 2008

Some Reviews

Yesterday my family and I fulfilled our yearly Christmas tradition of seeing a movie and eating Chinese food- if you know of my hometown, you'd know this is what every single Jewish family does on Christmas Eve/ Christmas.  Not only did I see a movie with my family, but I also went to my best friend's to exchange gifts and then a group of us went to a different movie.

That's right- two movies in one day.  So, here are my reviews- I'll try not to spoil anything from either film.

Gran Torino
Directed by: Clint Eastwood
Screenplay: Nick Schenk
Story by: Nick Schenk and Dave Johannson

Let me just start by saying that Clint Eastwood is bad ass.  Not only is he an amazing actor- but he also directs, produces, writes, composes, and does still photography.  He is a triple threat times two.

I'm shocked and surprised that this film doesn't have more hype around it. I went in expecting something great, and what I got was nothing short of fantastically spectacular.  Films can go two different ways- they can move with dialogue, or they can move with action.  This film- did both, keeping the audience completely intact on the way.  The dialogue in this movie was brilliant.  I was not disappointed with one line of the film.  In addition, you can tell that Nick Schenk really knew these characters he was writing- they leapt out of the actors and took over the film.  There was so much conviction and motivation behind almost every single one of them (however, there was one part where the young boy that played Tao was extremely unconvincing, but we'll let it slide).  Not only was the dialogue, and characters amazing, but the plot and story was well thought out, and easily conveyed through the other elements of the film.

Most of the movie had me in fits of laughter- dark comedy like.  The end of the film had me in a puddle of tears- and kept me thinking about the film the rest of the day.

I'm giving it a 9.5/10- It's now on my favorite movie list.


Doubt
Directed by: John Patrick Shanley
Play by: John Patrick Shanley
Adapted Screenplay by: John Patrick Shanley

As you can see from above, John Patrick Shanley wrote Doubt as a one act play.  He then adapted it for screen, in which he directed his own movie.  In my opinion, very few writers can get away with this, and he is not one of them.  This being because when you write something for entertainment either on screen or stage, you have to completely throw yourself in the work.  It is very difficult to see something you've completed in a new light, and try to change it for screen.

This film was really disappointing.  The content and the idea for the film are both great.  However, the film seriously lacked...something.  For one, it dragged on.  This would be expected though when adapting a ONE ACT (shorter version of a play) to a feature length film.  For two, the plot was very muffled, probably because of the slowness of the film.  Nothing really builds in the film, yet all of the sudden you're at the climax, wondering- when did this happen? Did I fall asleep?

I will say, the acting was impeccable.  Meryl Streep really did scare me.  Amy Adams, although she seems to always play a similar character, did a great job of being frightened of Streep, and conveying her emotions.  The children in the film also did well.  I also really liked the content of the film, because it was good for dinner table discussions.

The ending of the movie, didn't bother me, per say, but I felt like I wasn't watching a film, but rather an over the top play.  It actually reminded me of when I was in a play, Quiet in the Land, my freshman year of high school- if that says anything for it.

As for the nitty gritty stuff- they used some really great camera angles- however, in areas of the film where they didn't go with what was happening in the movie.  The lighting was dramatic where it needed to be, and the weather worked right with the character's emotions.

There's a scene where Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman are in a screaming fight- you hear a loud storm in the  background.  However, as soon as they calm down, the storm is suddenly gone.  It reminded me too much crappy high school theatrical effects, almost.

I think John Patrick Shanley could have done so much more with it had he had someone else adapt it for screen, and someone else direct it.  He should just stick to theatre.

I'm giving it a 5.8/10- probably wouldn't see it again.

No comments: