Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The Character

I find myself, again, trapped in the library until 9 PM, studying only Accounting and reading for my middle eastern conflict class. What to do? I started writing on my little study breaks I allot myself. I was focused on one library-goer. A male, looked like a TA, grading blue books. In my head (and on paper) I wrote his whole life story from where he came from, his family, etc. Apparently knowing your characters is a huge part of writing (go figure). I made him an English major (no, the obsession has not yet subsided with my new major). He ran into a friend and chatted him up for a while across the room. Long story short, his friend ended chatting up another friend close by and I found out- he is and English major. Thanks to my awesome eavesdropping skills, I discovered I learned not only about the character I made up in my head, but about the man he's based off of. This has nothing to do with anything except digressing from my studies. Maybe I'll elaborate later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh I love a bit of procrastination in the library, when everyone thinks your working...interested to see how your character develops....

Estrella Bella said...

Thanks! Yeah, it's definitely one of my vices I can't seem to shake- I'm supposed to go there to get work done, and instead I do everything except my work haha.

So@24 said...

The ol' late night library crushes.

I miss those.