Thursday, October 2, 2008

Obama Speaks!

So I went to the Obama rally at MSU today with Stephanie. Overall the experience was kind of fun, minus the freezing cold weather, rain, and crowded Adam's Field.

It started off with different political figures speaking at the podium- Debbie Stabanow (Mi Senator), Democratic candidate for some MSU board position, and democratic candidate for Judge. One thing that really annoyed me- and LOTS of other Obama supporters/anyone at the event, was that they had a reverend make a speech before he came on. Not only was it a reverend but it was a reverend who recited a prayer to us about god. Not only was it a prayer to god, but it was also a prayer to J.C. I don't know who was in charge of having this man speak, but whoever was made a big mistake. One thing that I liked about Obama before was the fact that he didn't bring religion into politics. Having that reverend say a prayer to J.C. was a huge blow, in my opinion, to the democrat's political campaign.

Other than that- if you want to know what Obama had to say, go look at his website. It's pretty much just his campaign platform for the economy. I would love for everything he said to happen- but where are we getting the money to accomplish it all?






/end of political rant.

2 comments:

Jesse said...

"I would love for everything he said to happen- but where are we getting the money to accomplish it all?"

Redirection and better distribution of funds (less money for war, more money for health care, small businesses, etc...), higher taxes on big oil and the insanely rich (if you make less than $250,000 a year you won't get a tax increase and possibly a tax decrease).

Just some ideas :)

Also, I don't know if you realize, but nearly EVERY political campaign meeting/rally/whatever opens with prayer. McCain's does too.
When I saw Obama on Sunday he had a rabbi come and say a prayer (in Hebrew and then he translated for us non-chosen types), he had a Muslim temple leader (I don't know what they call them) pray, and then he had a fiery black protestant preacher pray. His overall stance is that he is indeed a christian, but he grew up around other religions and his father is muslim. He's extremely understanding of various faiths and I believe he can make them work together, not against each other.

Estrella Bella said...

That's great- but what bothered me was the fact that this election shouldn't be about religion at all. It should be about our economy and pulling it out of the gutter. In my opinion.