Saturday, November 1, 2008

Eavesdropping.

Normally I wouldn't post twice in such a short period of time, but there seems to be nothing on tv, and nothing to do, so I figured, why not?

Have you ever sat somewhere, like a coffee shop, or bookstore, and just eavesdropped on someone's conversation.  I tend to do this a lot on accident.  It's not that I really care what they're saying, I wouldn't call it nosy, but I would call it people watching.  You can get the best material or inspiration to write about just listening to other people's conversations.

This is because it's real.  It's something substantial because it really happened, or it really was discussed.  This makes it interesting, something that others would want to read.

I recently wrote a screen play, if you remember correctly.  I had a friend read it, and the one scene that he really liked, that he thought was substantial and not just a filler for the rest of the script was the scene I based off of a conversation I heard in one of my classes.

I try to bring with me now, everywhere I go, a piece of scrap paper or a small notebook to jot down things I hear others say, bits and pieces of conversations, or thoughts I have based on other's conversations.

Maybe nothing will come of it, or perhaps, something great will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too love "people watching" in coffee shops.

I also love when you walk past people in the street and you just here a snippet of their conversation. So for example "Oh my goodness, no way!" or "And it was absolutely horrific". I love hearing these one liners and then imagining what it was that they were talking about.

OK, so I am very nosey, but other people's lives are just so interesting :-).